A fall favourite transformed into a smoothie!
Fall is my favourite time of year! I love the cool crisp air, vibrant colours and scrumptious fall flavours. After spending almost a month in Europe racing for track and taking a few weeks off running and baking during my off-season, I am eager for the hustle and bustle to start back up again. As much as I would like to bake all things fall, as an athlete I need to watch what I eat. However, I hate eating bland foods and I hate eating the same thing over and over again. This protein-packed pumpkin pie smoothie was created in my attempt to incorporate one of my favourite fall flavours in a healthy and hearty smoothie to get me through or recover from my tough base season workouts.
Helpful hints to create the perfect pumpkin pie smoothie!
- This recipe creates a relatively thick smoothie, which all blenders may not be able to handle. I use a Vitamix blender which I highly recommend if you want a high quality blender that lasts forever! If you don’t have a high power blender, you can simply add more milk or add less ice next time.
- Freeze bananas ahead of time. The frozen banana does wonders for the texture and thickness of the smoothie.
- If you do not have pumpkin pie spice, use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg instead.
Pumpkin Pie SmoothieCourse: Snacks, BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
Protein-packed smoothie perfect for a pre or post fall workout treat.
1/3 cup of your preferred milk (I usually drink 1% cows milk)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not filling)
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 frozen banana
1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup ice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Want to shop local in YXE? Protein powder can be found at supplement world’s 3 different location around the city. Most of the ingredients from this recipe can be found at Dad’s Nutrition on 8th street.
- Know of another place to shop local using this recipe? Any tips are always welcome in the comments.
Stay tuned for more fun fall flavours over the next couple of months!